One of the simplest strategies to lose weight and maintain a good physique is filling your diet with a variety of Low–calorie foods. But, this does not mean that you have to scale back on everything but broccoli, iceberg lettuce, and rice cakes. There are a lot of nutritious foods which are versatile, delicious, and still low in calories.
This term – a calorie is used for a unit of energy. Most of the food and beverages which we add to our diet provide calories and they help to fuel our cells and keep our bodies working efficiently. Also, we burn calories throughout the day through both exercise and normal activities, like eating, sleeping, and breathing.
Low–calorie foods for a good physique:
If you have been working on losing weight and making a good body, then you need to fill your diet with a variety of healthy, low–calorie foods which fill you up. They are higher in essential nutrients like fiber and protein and they can help you to feel fuller for longer. They will help to increase your energy levels. Here are some of the best low–calorie foods which you can add to your bodybuilding diet:
- Turkey breast: In one serving of turkey (3 oz) there are 135 calories. Many people consider turkey as a Thanksgiving staple, but it is also a great dietary addition that can be enjoyed all year round. It is rich in many vitamins and minerals, but also it is high in protein which can help you to feel full for longer between your meals.
- Lean ground beef: In one serving of lean ground beef (3 oz) there are 182 calories. This is one of the best foods which can help you to lose weight and also helps you to have a good body. It is versatile and easy to incorporate into a variety of recipes. You should look for lean cuts that have less than 8% fat to keep your calorie consumption in check.
- Chicken breast: Chicken is one of the best low–calorie meals which you can add to your diet. It is rich in protein and low in fat, which makes it an ideal food for adding to your diet. In one serving of chicken breast (3 oz), there are 138 calories, so do not doubt to add this amazing food to your diet.
- Venison: In one serving of venison, which is about 3 oz, there are 134 calories. In every serving of venison, there are 26 grams of protein and this makes it one of the most filling low–calorie foods out there. It works well especially in soups and stews, which is due to its earthy and rich flavor.
- Flank steak: In one serving of flank steak, which is 3 oz, there are 163 calories. It is a thin cut of meat that is taken from the belly of the cow. It is a great alternative to other high–fat cuts of meat like ribeye steak because it is much leaner and lower in calories.
- Cod: Cod is high in protein and other essential nutrients, like phosphorus, niacin, and Vitamin B12. Also, it is low in calories and fat, which is earning it a slot as one of the top high–energy, low–calorie foods on the market. In one serving of cod (3 oz), there are 89 calories.
- Flounder: This is a popular type of flatfish with a firm texture and sweet, flaky taste. It can be broiled, pan-fried, or baked and it works especially well when it is paired with butter, herbs, or lemon. In one serving of flounder (which is about 3 oz), there are 77 calories.
- Mackerel: This is a type of saltwater fish, which is recognized for its taste and flaky texture. It is rich in Omega – 3 fatty acids, niacin, selenium, and Vitamin B12. You should buy the Atlantic variety because it has less mercury than the king version. In a 3 oz serving of mackerel, there are 174 calories.
- Salmon: Salmon is considered one of the healthiest types of fish all around the world. It is relatively low in calories and each serving is loaded with protein and heart-healthy Omega – 3 fatty acids. In one serving of salmon, there are 177 calories.
- Mahi Mahi: This is a lean fish with a sweet flavor and it is found in tropical and subtropical areas, like Costa Rica and Hawaii. Also, it is low in calories and fat, and high in B vitamins, like Vitamin B6, niacin, and Vitamin B12. In a 3 oz serving of Mahi Mahi, there are 93 calories.
- Celery: This vegetable is low in calories, yet high in fiber and it can bring a crisp, crunchy texture to snacks and side dishes alike. You can try combining it with other veggies to make a refreshing salad or pair the stalks with nut butter or cream cheese for a simple snack. In one cup of celery, there are 16 calories, which makes it one of the best foods for your bodybuilding diet.
- Tomatoes: Technically, tomatoes are considered fruit. But, typically, they are used as a vegetable in many different recipes ranging from soups to salads, sauces, and stir-fries. Also, tomatoes have several key nutrients, including lycopene, which is a carotenoid that is acting as an antioxidant and it gives tomatoes their signature red color. In one cup of tomatoes, there are 32 calories.
- Spinach: It is very low in calories and this nutritious leafy green supplies a wealth of important nutrients, such as calcium, magnesium, Vitamin C, and iron. In one serving of spinach, there are 7 calories.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers are vibrant, delicious, and full of flavor. They are one of the best cheap, low–calorie foods to add to your diet. Also, they are rich in fiber, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. In one cup of bell peppers, there are 46 calories.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers have high water content, so each serving of cucumbers is very low in calories. You should try to add them to your favorite low–calorie snacks by pairing them with nut butter, salad dressing, or hummus. In one cup of cucumbers, there are 16 calories.
- Quinoa: Quinoa is very low in calories and it is one of the few plant-based foods that is considered a complete protein, meaning that it has all of the essential amino acids that your body is unable to produce on its own. This is a reason why quinoa is one of the most popular high–carb, low–calorie foods for bodybuilding and muscle growth. In one cup of quinoa, there are 222 calories.
- Farro: This is an ancient grain that is rich in both fiber and protein. It has a nutty and chewy texture and it works well in soups, grain salads, and risotto. You can add to your bodybuilding diet. In one–quarter dry farro, there are 160 calories.
- Couscous: This is a healthy whole grain that can be easily swapped for other grains, like bulgur, barley, and rice. It is high in antioxidants, fiber, and beneficial nutrients like manganese and selenium. In one cup of couscous, there are 176 calories, so you can add it to your diet.
- Popcorn: If you want to eat some healthy snack idea, then the air-popped popcorn is one of the best low–calorie foods which you can try. You can try seasoning them with herbs and spices like cinnamon, onion powder, cumin, and garlic to dial up the flavor even more. In one cup of popcorn there are 30 calories, so do not doubt to add it in your bodybuilding diet.
- Oats: Oats are rich in fiber and they have a specific type of soluble fiber known as beta-glucan. In some studies are found that beta-glucan can help to boost immunity, fight cancer cell growth and it can support healthy cholesterol levels. In one cup of oats, there are 150 calories, so you can add them to your diet for making a good body.
- Kefir: Kefir is low in calories and high in protein. This fermented milk drink is also packed with probiotics and they are a beneficial form of bacteria that can enhance gut health, reduce inflammation and improve immune function to help you feel your best. In one cup of kefir, there are 150 calories. Add kefir in your bodybuilding diet and you will see improvements in a very quick time.
- Non – fat cottage cheese: This is a mild-flavored cheese product that brings big benefits to the table. It is very low in calories, but it is rich in nutrients, such as riboflavin, Vitamin B12, and selenium, which are all needed for a good body. In one serving of non – fat cottage cheese, which is one–half, there are 80 calories.
- Eggs: Eggs have a healthy dose of protein, which is packed into each serving. They are an excellent addition to a healthy diet. You should try whipping up an omelet first thing in the morning to get your day off on the right food or enjoy a boiled egg between your meals for a nutritious snack. In one egg, there are 78 calories, which is extremely beneficial low–calorie food for your bodybuilding diet.