This type of cancer begins in the bones. In the most cases this type of cancer (bone cancer) is beginning in the long bones of our arms and legs. But you should not be surprised if bone cancer starts in other bone in your body. There are different types of bone cancer. Bone cancer can affect kids but also there are bone cancers which are affecting the adults. Bone cancer is not type of cancer which is beginning in some parts of the body and after that is spreading on the bones. Bone cancer means the type of cancer which is starting from the bones and they can spread on the other parts of the body.
Bone cancer – Symptoms, Types and Causes
Symptoms: Here are the signs and symptoms of bone cancer:
- Bone pain
- Broken bone
- Unintended weight loss
- Swelling and tenderness near the affected area
Causes: In the most cases is not known the right reason for this type of cancer. Many doctors have said that bone cancer is happening because there is some error in the cell’s of DNA. This error is reason for the cell to grow and to develop in uncontrolled way. These kinds of cells are living and their chances to be death are decreased. When the mutated cells are accumulating, then they can be reason for forming a tumor or a mass. This kind of tumor can spread on other parts of the body.
Types of bone cancers: There are many types of bone cancers which are known for the primary cells where they have began. These are the most common types of bone cancer which can affect patients:
- Ewing’s sarcoma: This type of cancer is not known where it has begun. But in the most cases when patients are having Ewing’s sarcoma, then their bone cancer has begun in arms, legs or pelvis in young adults and children.
- Osteosarcoma: This type of cancer begins in the bone cells in the arms or legs. Osteosarcoma can happen in young adults and children.
- Chondrosarcoma: This type of cancer usually begins in cartilage cells. In the most cases this type of bone cancer is happening in the middle aged adults and older adults. Bone cancer can happen in the legs, arms or in the pelvis in those kinds of patients.
Risk factors: This kind of bone cancer is not known what the reason for its cause was. But doctors are making many studies in which they want to show the real causes for bone cancer. Here are some risk factors for this type of disease:
- Radiation therapy for cancer: People who are suffering from some kinds of cancer are usually having radiation therapy for their kind of bone cancer. When patients are too affected on radiation, then this can be a reason for forming bone cancer.
- Inherited genetic syndrome: In some cases the real cause for cancer are the genetic syndromes which have been passing in families with years. There are two most known types of syndromes which can be reason for bone cancer such as hereditary retinoblastoma syndrome and Li-Fraumeni syndrome.
- Paget’s disease of bones: This kind of cancer in the most cases is happening in the older adults. This kind of bone cancer is increasing the risk for developing the bone cancer in the older ages.
When to see a doctor? If you are feeling some of the signs and symptoms that we have mentioned above, then you should visit your doctor. You should not doubt to make an appointment with your doctor if you are feeling some of those signs and symptoms. If you go to the doctor when your disease is in early stage, then is easier to be healed. Your doctor can make you some tests to be sure what the reason for your bone cancer is. Your doctor will make you some tests such as, X-ray, Bone scan, Magnetic resonance imaging, Computerized tomography and Positron emission tomography. Also your doctor will ask you if you want to make a biopsy. This means that a sample from your tumor will be sent for laboratory testing. When you have visited your doctor, you should know about all the symptoms you have felt in the past. Also you should tell your doctor if you have been using some treatment for your condition. You should answer to all questions which your doctor might ask you. You should visit your doctor as soon as possible because when the bone cancer is in older stage, then it is more difficult to give you the right medical treatment.