Throat cancer is a cancerous tumor that develops in your throat, voice box, or tonsils. The throat is a muscular tube that begins behind your nose and ends in your neck. Most often, throat cancer begins in the flat cells that line inside of your throat. The voice box is below the throat and also it is susceptible to throat cancer. Also, throat cancer can affect the piece of cartilage which acts as a lid for your windpipe.
The most common signs and symptoms of throat cancer include weight loss, a cough, a sore throat, a lump or sore that does not heal, ear pain, difficulty swallowing, and changes in your voice, such as not speaking clearly or hoarseness. If you have some of the mentioned symptoms, then you should talk with your doctor as soon as possible. Usually, throat cancer happens when the cells in your throat develop genetic mutations. These mutations are causing cells to grow uncontrollably and they continue to live after healthy cells would normally die.
These accumulating cells can form a tumor in your throat. There are different types of throat cancer, such as subglottic cancer, supraglottic cancer, glottic cancer, hypopharyngeal cancer, oropharyngeal cancer, and nasopharyngeal cancer. There are some factors that can increase your risk for throat cancer, such as GERD, tobacco use, including chewing tobacco and smoking, a diet lacking in fruits and vegetables, excessive alcohol use, a sexually transmitted virus called HPV.
You need to talk with your doctor if you suffer from throat cancer before you use some of the below-mentioned home remedies, so you will be sure that they will not cause you side effects. Here are some home remedies for throat cancer:
Natural Treatments for Throat Cancer:
- Healthy diet: You need to choose a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables. They have vitamins and antioxidants which can help to reduce your risk of throat cancer. You should eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Stop smoking: If you smoke, then you should quit smoking as soon as possible. If you are not smoking, then do not start to smoke. Throat cancer is linked to smoking. But, not every single person who smokes will get throat cancer for sure. It can be very difficult to stop smoking, so you can get help from your family and friends or look for support groups. Your doctor can help you to discuss the benefits and risks of the many stop-smoking strategies, such as counseling, nicotine replacement products, and medications. You should stop smoking because it can make the treatment less effective. Also, smoking can make it harder for your body to heal after surgery.
- Protect yourself from HPV: It is thought that some types of throat cancer are caused by sexually transmitted infections HPV (human papillomavirus). You should limit your number of sexual partners and use a condom every time you have sex, so in this way, you will reduce your risk of HPV. Also, you can consider taking the HPV vaccine, which is available for boys, girls, and young men and women.
- Avoid alcohol: It is recommended to drink alcohol in moderate amounts if you already drink. But, it is better to stop drinking as soon as possible. Men, who are aged 65 or younger can drink up to two drinks a day, while women of all ages and men older than 65 can drink one drink a day. When alcohol is combined with smoking or chewing tobacco, then it can increase the risk for throat cancer to a great extend. If you drink alcohol, then it is time to stop, because in this way you will reduce your risk for second cancer.
- Green tea: This home remedy is rich in antioxidants which can help to flush out free radicals and other harmful organisms from the body. These are organisms that can trigger throat cancer or worsen its symptoms. You can drink green tea, but with a limit. Usually, it is recommended to drink two cups of green tea, because it can help to reduce the symptoms of throat cancer and prevent recurrences.
- Acupuncture: There are some studies in which are shown that acupuncture can help to improve the body of the affected person. You can talk with a professional acupuncturist to make acupuncture sessions. You will forget about your symptoms for a moment.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A can help in the fight against cancerous cells, so you can use it as your home remedy for throat cancer.
- Neem: In some studies is said that neem can be used as a natural treatment for throat cancer because it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Find someone to talk with: It is very important to find people who can help you to deal with the emotions that you are feeling. You can talk with a close family member or friend, who is a good listener too. Also, you can find a support group in your area, so you can all change your emotions and lessen what you have on your mind.
- Curcumin: This pigment is extracted from turmeric and it gives its yellow color. It has anti-carcinogenic properties, so it can be used as a home remedy for throat cancer.
- Take care of yourself: The treatment for throat cancer can take a lot out of you. This is a reason why you should get enough rest whenever you can. Also, you should add a lot of fruits and vegetables to your diet, because they will help you with the nutrients which you have lost during the treatment. Your priority should be making your body healthy during the treatment. You should avoid extra stress as much as you can. You should get enough sleep at night, so you will wake up feeling rested. Also, you should make time for relaxing, such as reading a book or listening to music.
- Tomato: This is a very effective natural treatment for throat cancer because it has lycopene. This is the component that gives the red color of vegetables. This component acts as an antioxidant and can help your body to stay free of harmful free radicals. Also, it has Vitamin C, which can help you to stay away from skin cell damage that can lead to throat cancer.
- Go to all appointments: You should go to all appointments with your doctor, which are usually every few months during the first two years after the treatment and then less frequently after that. Your doctor will make your exams, which can help him to monitor your recovery and he will check for a cancer recurrence.
- Meditation: This technique can help you to point your mind in other places for a while. You should not doubt to go on meditation. You need the free mind of everything from all.
- Massage therapy: This is also a very useful technique for relaxing your body in this stressful situation. It will help to stop thinking of everything at that point.
- Avocado: This home remedy is rich in Vitamin E and Vitamin C, which can help to treat throat cancer. It can help to eliminate the pre-cancerous cells in your mouth.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin is antioxidant, which can help in the fight against free radicals that have caused throat cancer. You can consume Vitamin C in supplement form, but ask your doctor about the proper dosage for you. Also, you can add fruits rich in Vitamin C to your diets, such as lemon, orange, kiwi, mango, papaya, and strawberries.
- Drumstick: There are some studies in which are shown that the leaves of the drumstick plant can help to treat throat cancer. You should dry the leaves and make them as powder. Then, add a teaspoon of this powder to a cup of boiling water and you should drink it regularly over the treatment period.
- Raspberries: You can drink a cup of raspberry juice as your natural treatment for throat cancer. You can make raspberry juice at your home, so you will be sure that it will be free of preservatives.
- Beta carotene: This is a Vitamin A precursor which is commonly found in dark green, orange, or yellowish fruits and vegetables, such as oranges, papaya, mango, and sweet potato. Beta carotene has antioxidant properties, which can help in the fight against free radicals. Beta carotene can inhibit mutagenesis and it can inhibit cancer cell growth. It can be used in supplement form, but talk with your doctor about the recommended dosage for your condition.
- Leafy vegetables: There are some studies in which are recommended increasing the consumption of cancer-fighting foods, like green leafy vegetables and cruciferous vegetables, like cabbage. These foods can help to reduce the size of tumors and they can help to prevent them from spreading and recurring due to their potent anti-cancer properties.
Throat cancer. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/throat-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20366462 . Published August 11, 2018
What Is Throat Cancer? https://www.healthline.com/health/cancer-throat-or-larynx . Published August 9, 2018
Natural ways to prevent and treat oral cancer. http://www.jorr.org/article.asp?issn=2249-4987;year=2014;volume=6;issue=1;spage=34;epage=39;aulast=Danaraddi . Published September 5, 2014
Larynx Cancer (Throat Cancer). https://www.medicinenet.com/larynx_cancer/article.htm .
What You Need to Know About Throat Cancer. https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/throat-cancer-symptoms-treatments#1 . Published March 18, 2018
What are the facts about throat cancer? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/312087 . Published October 7, 2019
Throat cancer symptoms. https://www.cancercenter.com/cancer-types/throat-cancer/symptoms .
Throat Cancer: Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment. https://www.yalemedicine.org/conditions/throat-cancer/ .
Throat cancer. https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/throat-cancer .
Sinus cancer. https://www.immunitytherapycenter.com/diseases-we-treat/cancer-treatment/throat-cancer/ .
Throat Cancer Treatment. https://www.mdanderson.org/cancer-types/throat-cancer/throat-cancer-treatment.html .
Throat cancer. https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/ConditionsAndTreatments/throat-cancer .