This is an irritation of the skin at the opening of your anal canal through which stool exists your body. Anus is the skin surrounding opening. Anal itching is a very common condition. The itch can be situated in or around your anus. It is often intense and in many cases it is accompanied by a strong urge to scratch. This is a very uncomfortable and embarrassing condition. When we have anal itching, then we also have a desire to scratch. Is some cases it is caused by a reaction to chemicals in your stool. Anal itching is also known as pruritius ani. It has many possible causes for this condition such as washing not enough, washing too much, hemorrhoids and skin problems. If you have noticed that the anal itching is a persistent, then you should visit your doctor as soon as possible. With a proper treatment and self – care measures, most people are having complete relief from this problem.
Symptoms of anal itching
Anal itching is often associated with soreness, burning and redness. The irritation and itching can be temporary or more persistent which is depending on the cause. In the most cases anal itching does not require medical help. If you have noticed that the anal itching is severe or persistent, then you should seek medical help. Also you should visit your doctor if you have anal bleeding. If you noticed that the anal area seems to be infected, then you should talk with your doctor about this problem. If you cannot figure out what is a reason for the persistent itch, then you should visit your doctor as soon as possible. If you have persistent anal itching, then this can be related to a skin condition or other health problems which is a reason why you should get medical treatment.
There are additional symptoms which are associated with this condition such as
- You can notice small amounts of bleeding in your anus
- You can notice that the amount of inflammation and the intensity of the anal itching are increasing from the direct trauma of scratching and the presence of moisture
- When the anal itching is the most intense, then this causes intolerable discomfort which often is described as soreness and burning especially after and during bowel movements
Here are the possible causes of anal itching
- Skin conditions: There are some cases in which anal itching is a result of specific skin condition such as contact dermatitis or psoriasis.
- Infections: If you have sexually transmitted infections, then they can involve the anus and to cause itching. Pinworms are a reason why you can have persistent anal itching. Also there are other parasites which can cause similar itching. Yeast infections in the most cases are affecting women. They can also be a reason for anal itching.
- Personal care habits: Every single person has skin care routine which can include behaviors and products which can irritate your skin. These habits and behaviors are including moist toilet paper or wipes with perfumes and dyes, using soap, washing too little and washing too much.
- Other medical conditions: Diabetes is a condition which is affecting the whole body and this is a reason why we can have anal itching. Tumors, hemorrhoids and chronic diarrhea are also a reason why we can suffer from anal itching.
- Irritant chemicals in food: Anal itching in many cases can be caused by irritating chemicals in the food that we consume such as peppers, hot sauces and spices.
- Moisture in the anus: Anal itching can be result of the irritation of the continuous moisture in the anus from diarrhea and frequent liquid stools or also it can be caused by an escape of small amounts of stool (this is condition which is known as incontinence). Moisture can increase the chances of getting infections in your anus. This condition is increasing the chances of getting yeast infection. People who suffer from HIV or diabetes have increased chances to get this condition.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is also one of the most common conditions for anal itching because it can irritate your anus.