The medical term for dry mouth is xerostomia. If you have reduced salivary flow or a change in the composition of saliva, then these conditions can lead to dry mouth. When you have dry mouth, then this can be result from drinking alcohol, smoking, depression, snoring, anxiety, stress, dehydration and aging. Also pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers can have a dry mouth because they have hormonal changes and dehydration. Also this condition can be caused by some medications which are used to treat anxiety, nerve pain which is also known as neuropathy and depression. Pain medications, muscle relaxants, decongestants and antihistamines can also lead to dry mouth. Nerve damage, autoimmune diseases and diabetes can also lead to dry mouth. Radiation therapy and chemotherapy can also lead to dry mouth. There are many symptoms of this condition such as difficulty swallowing, speaking and chewing, bad breath, cracked lips, loss of taste, mouth sores, excessive thirst, a rough tongue, thick or stringy saliva and parched feeling in the mouth. You have sticky feeling in your mouth which can be irritating and uncomfortable. Sometimes people say that they have cotton mouth. You should not chew or smoke tobacco because it can hamper the saliva production. Also you can gargle your mouth with salt water three to four times per day. What is important to remember is that you should not breathe through your mouth. You should breathe through your nose. You should not consume acidic or spicy foods because they are irritating the inside of your mouth. Also you should not eat too many sugar products because they will increase your risk of getting tooth decay. There are many home remedies which can help you to rid of the dry mouth. In the most cases you should use them every day but you need to talk with your doctor before you take them.
Here are some dry mouth home remedy
- Increase fluid intake: One of the most common causes for dry mouth is dehydration. You must increase your fluid intake because in this way your body will be hydrated . When you have normal hydration, then your body is producing more saliva and also it can help you to rid of the symptoms which you feel. You should consume an ample of water every day. If you do not drink water or you cannot drink it, then you should suck on small pieces of ice. You should eat partly frozen chunks of vegetables and fruits which are based on water such as cucumber, pineapple and watermelon. You should drink smooth vegetable juices or fruit juices. Also you should include coconut water in your diet. You should drink one to two glasses of coconut water every day. Also you should add herbal teas in your diet such as chamomile tea, green tea etc. You should eat soups and stews which are liquid and soft foods. You should not drink alcohol, sodas and coffee because these kinds of drinks can increase the dehydration.
- Aloe Vera: This is one of the best home remedies for dry mouth. It can enhance the taste buds and also it will protect the sensitive tissues in your mouth. You should drink ¼ coup of Aloe Vera juice every day because in this way you will rid of this problem. Also you can use the Aloe Vera juice to rinse your mouth. You should do this process several times per day. Also you can apply pure Aloe Vera gel around your mouth. You should do this method with a cotton swab. You should let this remedy to stay on your mouth in a period of few minutes. Then, you should rinse your mouth with cold water. You should do this process two to three times per day. 
- Cayenne pepper: If you suffer from dry mouth, then you should use cayenne pepper because it stimulates the production of saliva. Also it will bolster the taste buds which mean that you can better distinguish bitter, salty, sweet and sour flavors. You should make your finger wet and then you should put a small amount of ground cayenne pepper on it. You should rub your tongue with this remedy. In the first moments it may cause you a burning sensation but this remedy will help you to stimulate the salivary glands. Also you can add cayenne pepper in your salads, soups and other dishes. Also you can use cayenne pepper capsules but you must talk with your doctor before you start using it. 
- Grapeseed oil: This is also a very effective home remedy if you want to rid of the symptoms of this disease. It can keep your mouth a moist for long period and also it will help coat your mouth because these seeds have moisturizing properties. Also they are rich with Vitamin E. This vitamin can help you to cure any kind of sores which you have in your mouth. You should put some amount of grapeseed oil on your fingers. Then, you should rub the inside of your cheeks and your tongue with this kind of oil. You should let this remedy to stay on your tongue and cheeks through the night. When you are awake, then you should wash your teeth as usual but before you wash your teeth you should rinse your mouth with warm water. You should repeat this treatment every day before you go to the bed. 
- Fennel seeds: This natural remedy will help you to rid of the dry mouth because it has flavonoids as its components which are stimulating the flow of saliva. In many cases when people suffer from dry mouth, then they also feel bad breath. This natural remedy has aromatic flavor which can help you to beat this side effect of the dry mouth. You should munch on fennel seeds several times per day if you want to beat this condition. Also you should make a mixture from equal amounts of fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds. You should dry roast this mixture in a pan. You should grind these ingredients and then you should add small amount of salt in this mixture. You should eat one and half teaspoon of this mixture after every meal. 
- Lemon: It can help you to get a relief from the dry mouth and also this remedy will help you to stimulate the production of saliva. It will eliminate the bad breath and also it will help you to have a clean mouth because this fruit has acidic nature. In a glass of water you should add small amount of honey and a juice of ½ lemons. You should sip this water throughout the day because in this way you
Natural treatments for dry mouth
- Slippery elm: It has mucilage. When this component is mixed with water, then it becomes a slick gel. It can help you to soothe the throat, the muscle and also it helps coat. Also there are many other discomforts which are accompanied with this condition which means that they will also disappear when you use this natural remedy. In one cup of hot water you should add one to two tablespoons of slippery elm. You should cover the cup. Then, you should steep this mixture for ten minutes. You should strain it. Then, you should drink this kind of tea. You should drink this tea two times per day. Also you can make a paste from this remedy. You will need small amount of slippery elm bark powder and enough amount of water. You should apply this paste inside of your mouth. You should let it stay there in a period of few minutes. Then, you should rinse your mouth with water. You can repeat it twice per day or you can apply it just once per day. This remedy will help you to stay hydrated throughout the day. Also you can make homemade lemonade. This will help you to rid of the dry mouth. But you should not drink lemonade which is not having a sugar as its component. On a small piece of lemon you can also sprinkle a small amount of salt. Then, you should rub this piece of lemon on your tongue. This will enhance your taste buds. 
- Oil pulling: This is one of the best home remedies which you can use if you want to rid of the dry mouth. This natural remedy can keep your mouth moist. It can help you to rid of the bad breath and also it can help you to have good oral health. You can do the oil pulling with sesame oil, coconut oil or other types of vegetable oils. You will need to put one tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth. Then, you should swish this kind of oil around your mouth. You should do this in a period of ten minutes. Then, you should spit this oil out of your mouth. You should rinse your mouth with warm water. Then, you should brush your teeth as you usually do. When you are awake in the morning you should do this treatment. It is very important to do this treatment before you start with your breakfast or you consume something. What is important to remember is to not swallow or gargle this kind of oil.
 Popkin BM, D’Anci KE, Rosenberg IH. Water, hydration and health. Nutrition Reviews. 2010;68(8):439-58.
 Fox LT, du Plessis J, Gerber M, et al. In Vivo skin hydration and anti-erythema effects of Aloe vera, Aloe ferox and Aloe marlothii gel materials after single and multiple applications. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2014;10(Suppl2):S392-S403.
 Campos-Hernández N, Jaramillo-Flores ME, Téllez-Medina DI, Alamilla-Beltrán L. Effect of traditional dehydration processing of pepper jalapeno rayado (Capsicum annuum) on secondary metabolites with antioxidant activity. CyTA – Journal of Food. 2017;16(1):316-324.
 Garavaglia J, Markoski MM, Oliveira A, Marcadenti A. Grape seed oil compounds: Biological and chemical actions for health. Nutrition and Metabolic Insights. 2016;9:59-64.
 Rubim RF, Freitas SP, Vieira HD, Gravina GA. Physiological quality of fennel ( Foeniculum vulgare Miller) seeds stored in different containers and environmental conditions. Journal of Seed Science. 2013;35(3).
 Watts CR, Rousseau B. Slippery elm, its biochemistry, and use as a complementary and alternative treatment for laryngeal irritation. American Journal of Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology. 2012;1(1):17-23.