When you cannot sweat normally, then you are having anhidrosis. This inability to sweat can be dangerous for your health. When you are not sweating, you are not cooling your body. This can lead to overheating. In some cases it can be reason for heatstroke which is fatal condition for your health. This disease is also known for its name hypohidrosis. In some cases this disease can be difficult t be diagnosed. When you are having anhidrosis in mild stadium, then this condition is hard to be recognized. This condition can be caused by many reasons such as intake of some medicines, skin trauma and certain diseases. Anhidrosis can be inherited. Also you can get this disease by developing in your life. If is found the right reason for anhidrosis, then the treatment is in the way to be cured this cause.
Symptoms of anhidrosis
Signs and symptoms of this disease are:
- Feeling hot
- Muscle cramps
- Little or no perspiration
The perspiration can occur in your whole body, in single place of your body or it can happen in scattered patches. Areas which should sweat would try to produce more perspiration. This can be reason to sweat more all over your body or you can sweat a lot in one area but in other areas you will sweat a little or not at all. When you are having this condition it is hard for your body to cool. When you are working hard or when you are doing exercises or when the weather is hot, all these factors can lead to heat exhaustion, heat cramps and in some cases there can be heatstroke. Anhidrosis in many cases can be caused by previous disease such as skin injury and diabetes. After you have got some of these diseases, anhidrosis is developing by its own.
When to see a doctor? When the weather is hot or you are exercising hard, but you barely sweat, then this is a reason to visit your doctor and talk with him or her about your condition. Also you should talk with your doctor when you are sweating less than you are usually sweating. Anhidrosis can be reason for heatstroke. You should visit your doctor if you have:
- When you have noticed goose bumps, even when there are warm temperatures
- Rapid heartbeat
If your doctor sees serious signs and symptoms, he will refer you to a dermatologist (this type of doctor is specialized in skin conditions). Before you visit your doctor, you should type all the medicines and herbal remedies that you have taken in the past, write about your symptoms, write about your past health conditions and is good idea to know if someone from your family had this disease in the past. Your doctor can ask you the next questions:
- When you have noticed that you are not sweating?
- What parts of your body are not perspiring?
- Have you some family member with this disease?
- What signs and symptoms are you feeling?
- Have you taken some medicines to improve your condition?
- Have you taken some home remedies for anhidrosis?
- Have you noticed if your symptoms are getting worse?
- Are you having these symptoms from the day that you have started to take medicines for other disease or you have before that condition?
After your doctor had asked you these questions, he or she will make you two kinds of tests: sweat test (your whole body will be tested at once and in the end there would be digital photos which will show your condition) and skin biopsy (your doctor will make this test to check the suspected areas for anhidrosis).
Causes of anhidrois
This condition can be inherited or in some cases the right cause for anhidrosis cannot be found. Causes for the anhidrosis are next:
- Skin damage
- Certain drugs
- Conditions which you are born with
- Some conditions that you have inherited
- Conditions that can damage on your nerves
- Connective tissue disease
Risk factors: These factors can make bigger chances for you to get this disease:
- Genetic abnormalities: When you are having mutation in your genes, then this could be reason for anhidrosis
- Age: People which are 65 years old and children are having more chances to get this disease
- Skin disorders: If you have inflammation on your skin, then this could increase the possibilities for having anhidrosis
- Certain health problems: If you have diabetes, then your organism is more likely to get anhidrosis