This kind of condition is also known as gastric polyps. When you have stomach polyps, then on the lining inside of your stomach there are masses of cells. These polyps are not common in people and in the most cases they do not have any kind of symptom. When your doctor is making a test for other condition, then are the biggest chances that he or she will notice that you have polyps in your stomach. In the most cases when you suffer from stomach polyps, then this kind of disease is not cancerous. But also there are some types of stomach polyps which can increase the risk of getting cancer in the near future. The treatment of the stomach polyps depends on which type of stomach polyp you have. In some cases there is a need to remove the polyp from your body while in other cases there is not need for surgery. You doctor just will monitor your condition.
When we suffer from stomach polyps, then in the most cases we do not feel any kind of symptom. But when this kind of disease is starting to enlarge, then can be ulcers (open sores) on the surface of the stomach. There are small cases when stomach polyp has blocked the opening between your small intestine and your stomach. Here are some signs and symptoms of the stomach polyps:
- Blood in your stool
- Pain or tenderness when you press your abdomen
If you have noticed that you have some of the mentioned symptoms or you have persistent blood in your stool, then you should talk with your doctor.
Causes for stomach polyps: When you have damage in your stomach lining, then you can get stomach polyps. Here are the most common causes for the stomach polyps:
- Regular use of certain stomach medications: When people take proton pump inhibitors to reduce their stomach acid, then the fundic glands are the most common types of glands in this group. These polyps are small and you should not be worried about them. If you have a fundic gland polyp which has diameter that is larger than one centimeter (2/5 inches), then they can have a little risk of getting cancer. This is a reason to see your doctor. He or she will recommend you to remove the polyp or to discount proton pump inhibitors. He or she can recommend you just one method or the both methods.
- Chronic stomach inflammation: Gastritis or chronic stomach inflammation can be a reason for the formation of adenomas and hyperplastic polyps. In most cases when people are affected with hyperplastic polyps, then they do not have a risk of getting cancer. But those hyperplastic polyps which are larger than one centimeter (2/5 inches) are having bigger risk of getting cancer. Adenomas are not so common type of stomach polyps but these kinds of polyps are having the biggest risk of getting cancer. This is a reason why these kinds of polyps must be removed from the stomach.
- Familial adenomatous polyposis: This is very rare type of stomach polyp. In the most cases this kind of polyp is inherited by someone from your family. When you have this type of stomach polyps, then they can cause some cells of the inner lining of our stomach to be a specific type of polyps which are known as fundic gland polyps. If you are diagnosed with this kind of polyp, then your doctor will remove it from your stomach because they can lead to cancer. This kind of polyp can be a reason for adenomas.
Risk factors: Here are the factors which can increase the chances of getting stomach polyps:
- Certain medications: When you use long – term medications such as proton pump inhibitors which are used for gastroesophageal reflux disease, then they can increase the risk of getting fundic gland polyps.
- Age: People who are in their midadulthood or in their adulthood are having the biggest risk of getting stomach polyps.
- Familial adenomatous polyps: If you have this kind of polyps, then you should know that it is inherited. It increases the risk of getting stomach polyps and colon cancer.
- Bacterial stomach infection: Helicobacter pylori bacteria is the most common cause for gastritis which leads to adenomas and hyperplastic polyps.