Vertigo is a sort of dizziness which is characterized by a sensation that you or the environment around you are falling, spinning, moving or tilting although there is not actual movement. Also this condition can be accompanied by other symptoms such as feeling or fullness in the ear, temporary hearing loss, tinnitus, loss of balance, vomiting and nausea. Vertigo itself is more of a symptom that a disease and this is different from the dizziness or the nonspecific lightheadedness. BPPV (bening paroxysmal positional vertigo) is one of the most common causes for vertigo which is caused by a disturbace in the calcium particles called otoliths in the semicircular canals of the labyrinth of the inner ear. Older people are having increased risk of getting this condition. This condition is characterized by a sensation of motion, made or brought on worse by sudden positional changes or head movements. This condition usually lasts for less than a minute. Also there are other conditions which can lead to vertigo such as migraines, head injury, vestibular neuronitis, Meniere’s disease and labyrinthitis. Vertigo can be due to problems in the brain or nerves or as a side effect of some medications. There are some cases in which this condition can improve on its own over a period. If you suffer from this condition, then you should talk with your doctor about the proper natural treatment or medication for you. Here are some home remedies for vertigo:
- Basil: Basil is an effective home remedy for vertigo because it has sweet, spicy and light smell and it works as an aromatherapy remedy for vertigo and dizziness. In one cup of milk you should boil 3 or 4 basil leaves. You should inhale the smell of this natural treatment. You should drink this healthy tonic every day before you go to the bed. You should do this natural treatment for at least a few weeks.
- Cardamom: This home remedy has soothing smell. It has health properties similar to that of the ginger. Also it can help you in the natural treatment of vertigo. In this home remedy is used massaging action which will help you to alleviate the problem. You should slightly heat 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. You should mix in ½ teaspoon of each of powdered cinnamon and cardamom. You should gently massage your head with this natural cure. You should let it stay there in a period of a few hours. You should do this natural treatment several times a week in a period of a few weeks.
- Coriander seeds: This is one of the most popular Ayurvedic remedies for vertigo. In a cup of water you should soak one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder (also this home remedy is known as amla) and one teaspoon of coriander seeds. You should set it aside overnight. You should strain this home remedy. In the next morning you should drink this natural cure. You can add a small amount of honey or sugar to improve the taste of this natural cure. You should repeat it every day in a period of a few days.
- Gingko biloba: This is one of the best Chinese traditional medicines which can help you to increase the blood flow to your brain. This means that it can help you to reduce the dizzy sensation. You should take 120 to 160 mg of gingko biloba extract in 2 or 3 divided doses daily for 3 months. You will start noticing improvements in your condition after 8 to 12 weeks.
- Ginger: This is a very effective home remedy for vertigo because it can promote blood circulation to your brain and also it will give you a relief from the nausea. There was one study about the vertigo – reducing properties of ginger and in this study was shown that it can alleviate problems such as migraines and motion sickness. You should chew a piece of ginger on a regular basis because this can help you to alleviate the problem. In a cup of boiling water you should steep one teaspoon of grated ginger for about 5 minutes. Then, you should strain this ginger tea. You can add a small amount of honey in it because it will give it a sweet taste. You should drink this home remedy two times per day in a period of a few weeks. Also you can take ginger in supplement form but previously you should have spoken with your doctor about the appropriate dosage. You need to talk with your doctor before you start taking ginger because it can interfere with some medications such as blood pressure medications, antidiabetic and anticoagulant medications.
- Epley Maneuver: The Epley Maneuver can be very effective natural treatment for vertigo, especially BPPV vertigo and there are not any serious adverse effects. There are some studies in which is said this procedure can resolve the BPPV rapidly and effectively. You should sit on a bed and place pillow behind you so the pillow will be under your shoulders when you lie down. If your vertigo is in the right ear, then you should turn your head 45 degrees to the right and you should follow the rest of the procedure accordingly. If your vertigo is in the left ear, then you should turn your head 45 degrees to the left. The following procedure is given when the vertigo is in your left ear, but if your vertigo is in the right ear, then this procedure is same and you just change the directions. Quickly you should lie back with your shoulders on the pillow and head reclined onto the bed for about 30 seconds. What you should do next is without raising your head, turn it 90 degrees to the right and wait for another 30 seconds. While you are keeping your head in this current position, you should quickly turn your whole body another 90 degrees to the right and you should stay in this position for thirty seconds. You should slowly sit up, bringing your head to the center. You should repeat this procedure 3 times per day until you are without vertigo for at least 24 hours. In the most cases, symptoms of this condition resolve within a week. It is the best to perform all the 3 cycles of this maneuver at night, before you go to the bed rather than in the morning or midday.
- Valerian: When the vertigo is caused by nervous exhaustion, then valerian is one of the best natural cures for it. This home remedy can also help you with problems such as anxiety and insomnia. You should steep one teaspoon of dried valerian root in a cup of water for 5 to 10 minutes. You should strain this home remedy. You should drink this tea up to 3 times per day in a period of 2 to 3 weeks. You should take one teaspoon of valerian tincture once or twice per day in a period of two to three weeks. You should not take valerian for a prolonged time because it can be addictive. Before you start using some of the mentioned natural treatments with valerian, you need to talk with your doctor.
- Massage therapy: Massage therapy can reduce dizziness and help resolve balance issues by working on the trigger points in the anterior neck muscles. Also it can help you to get a relief from the stiffness and neck pain and it will improve the circulation. Champi is an Indian head massage which can help resolve insomnia, tinnitus, migraines and headaches. It works the upper three chakras called sahasrara, ajna and vishuddha. You can do a simple massage yourself by gently massaging your upper back, neck and head in circular motions. You should do this massage at daily basis. It is very recommended to have sessions with a skilled massage therapist because in this way you will have proper massage.
- Almonds: You can prepare an effective Ayurvedic remedy by a combination of poppy seeds, wheat, pumpkin seeds and almonds. This can help you to reduce vertigo and dizziness. You should soak one teaspoon of poppy seeds, 3 tablespoons of wheat, 7 or 8 pumpkin seeds and 7 or 8 almonds in water overnight. Poppy seeds are also known as khuskhus. The next morning, you should peel the almonds and grind them along with the other soaked ingredients to make a fine paste. You should sauté ½ teaspoon of cloves in 2 teaspoons of ghee (which is also known as clarified butter). You should add one cup of milk and the almond paste to the mixture. You should bring them to boil and then you should turn off the heat. You can add a small amount of sugar because this will sweeten the mixture. You should drink this home remedy in a period of few days. Also it is very important to keep yourself hydrated. Dehydration contributes to lightheadedness and dizziness. You should drink a plenty of water throughout the day, especially when you feel dizzy.