Flaxseed has many health benefits which have made it a part of the traditional cuisines of Africa, America and Asia. It has high nutritional value and health benefits which are making it very popular food. Flaxseed is rich in lignans, Omega – 3 fatty acids and alpha – linoleic acid. The mentioned components can be used to fight against many diseases and ailments such as diabetes, asthma, allergies, arthritis, inflammation and cardiovascular diseases. There are many health benefits in the flaxseed which can improve the quality of your life and your health. You should take care when you are consuming ground flaxseed to enjoy all of its benefits because whole seeds do not release the nutrients effectively.
Health benefits of flaxseed
- Maintains kidney health: There are some studies in which are shown that the flaxseed can reduce the rate of kidney inflammation in cases of nephritis.
- Reduces dry eye: When you are consuming flaxseeds, then this can help to reduce the “dry eye” syndrome. It has Omega – 3 fatty acids which can help to reduce the risk of macular degeneration because an eye disease is caused by damaged nerves in the eyes.
- Reduces ovarian dysfunction: There are some studies in which are shown that menstruating women who consume flaxseed on regular basis, this seed can inhibit cycle changes and the reduction in the ovarian dysfunction.
- Prevents osteoporosis: Flaxseed has lignans which have estrogenic properties and they can reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis and cardiovascular diseases in the menopausal women.
Flaxseed benefits & uses
- Reduces pre – menstrual symptoms: Flaxseed has lignans which can be used as an alternative to the hormone replacement therapy because they have estrogenic properties.
- Boosts immunity: Flaxseed has lignans and alpha – linolenic acid which can boost the immune response in the body and they can help in the prevention of inflammatory diseases such as psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune disorder lupus.
- Fights inflammation: Flaxseed is rich in Omega – 3 fatty acids, preceded only by the fish oil. We know that the Omega – 3 fatty acids is the most active agent which is fighting against the inflammation in the body. Inflammation is a leading cause for many diseases such as diabetes, allergies, asthma, heart diseases and even certain cancers.
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases: This seed is rich in flavone C – glycosides. These are polyphenolic compounds which can inhibit the lipid peroxidation, platelet aggregation and the capillary fragility and permeability and this can lower your risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Good source of protein: It is known fact that flaxseed is rich in dietary proteins. Also it has high essential amino acid index. These components can provide most of the daily intake of proteins which are needed by our bodies.
- Improves overall health: Flaxseed is rich in Vitamin E and most B complex Vitamins, as well as minerals such as iron, potassium and magnesium. Vitamin E is very important for healthy bones and skin. Iron is vital component of the red blood cells and many enzymes which are affecting our general metabolism. Potassium is also important mineral for our health because it maintains nerve health.
- Improves gastrointestinal health: Flaxseed is rich in both types of fiber – soluble and insoluble types. The soluble fiber can help to maintain proper gastrointestinal functions. The insoluble fiber plays an important role in keeping your heart healthy by lowering the levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. This health benefit of flaxseeds can help diabetics to maintain normal blood sugar levels.
- Prevents cancer: Flaxseed has abundant phytochemicals which act as antioxidants and they are the main agents in preventing and fighting against the cancer. Also this seed is rich in lignans which convert into chemicals that balance the hormones in our bodies. This means that lignans can also aid in the reproductive health, counter the effects of type – 2 diabetes and prevent menopausal symptoms.