There are many people around the world which are having a blood clot in their veins. This is fatal medical condition which is also known as venous thromboembolism (VTE). This kind of disease is common name for two types of conditions. The first one is deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which is blood clot that is formed in the deep veins in our bodies. Usually this kind of blood clot is happening on the legs. The second one is the pulmonary embolism which is blood clot that is forming in the blood vessels which are carrying blood from our heart to our lungs. This is a serious disease but also this disease can be avoided. You should always be aware that if you have some symptoms of this kind of disease, then you should take preventive steps. When you have a cut or injury, then blood clots are helpful for your situation because it stops the bleeding. Every single person can be affected by this disease. People who are not having quality health and who cannot move around are having the biggest chances of getting blood clots. This condition is happening to blood vessels of veins and arteries. They are having a form like gel mass which is formed by fibrin and platelets which are located in the blood and they are responsible to stop bleeding. When you have blood clot in your arteries or veins, then this is a reason for which you should be worried because your blood flow is decreased. There are many illnesses and risk factors which are leading to this condition.
Here are the causes for this condition:
- Inherited blood clothing disorders
- Certain medications in which we can include the birth control pills
- Prolonged immobility
- Heart conditions such as heart rhythm disturbance and atrial fibrillation
- Some kinds of surgeries especially orthopedic procedures when casts or splints are placed and patient is immobile
Symptoms of blood clots: Symptoms of this disease are depending on which location are the blood clots. There are some blood clots which are not producing symptoms. They are producing symptoms when they become dislocated or they rupture. Then, they are traveling through the circulatory system in other parts of the body.
- Symptoms of the blood clot in the pulmonary embolous (in the lung) are rapid pulse and breathing, shortness of breath and chest pain.
- Symptoms of blood clot in DVT – deep vein thrombosis (in legs) are swelling, pain and redness.
- Symptoms of blood clot in an artery that supplies intestine (in the mesenteric ischemia) are blood in the stool, abdominal pain and nausea.
- Symptoms of the arterial blood clot in the legs are painful. When patients are having this kind of blood clot, then their legs are pale and cool.
- Symptoms of blood clot in an artery of the brain (of a stroke) are weakness of one side of the body, loss of vision and loss of speech.
- Symptoms of blood clot in a coronary artery (a heart attack) are shortness of breath, sweating, nausea, chest pain and indigestion.
If you are feeling some of the mentioned symptoms, then you must visit your doctor. He or she will make a physical and history tests which will show you which is the real cause for your condition. You should avoid smoking if you do not want to get blood clot. Also you should have normal levels of blood pressure and cholesterol. There are some cases when blood clot is serious disease and it must be seen by doctors. In this case people are having this disease for entire life. If you have heart attacks or strokes, then you have serious blood clot in your body. The percentage of people who are affected with blood clots is increasing every year so this is a reason why you should look for your health.
Risk factors for getting blood clots: The risk of getting blood clots is increased
- If you are dehydrated
- If you are over 60 years old
- If you have cancer or you have a cancer treatment
- If you are obese or overweight
- If you are pregnant or have recently given birth
- If you have had blood clot before
- If you are having HRT (hormone replacement therapy)
- If you have a condition that causes your blood clots more easily than normal blood clotting such as antiphospholipid syndrome