Arnica is also known as Wound herb, Thunder wort, Smoke herb, Sneezewort, Mountain Snuff, European Arnica, Leafy Arnica, Mountain arnica, Wolf’s bane and Leopard’s bane. It is member of the Compositae (Asteraceae) family which also includes sunflower and daisy. It is native to the mountains regions of Europe and Southern Russia where the leaves of it are smoked as a substitute for tobacco. Arnica flower has a similar large yellow – orange or bright yellow flower head which is similar to sunflowers and it blooms from midsummer to the autumn. The name of this genus Arnica may be derived from the Greek arni – “lamb” in reference to the plants soft and hairy leaves. This herb in some cases is called mountain tobacco because the leaves slightly look like those of the tobacco plant. Nowadays, this herb is found in several hundreds products which is making it one of the most popular and extensively used natural remedies.
Health benefits of arnica
- Treatment of stress and depression: This natural cure is beneficial in alleviating feelings of emotional distress and depression. Often, this home remedy is used in healing sachets to give a sense of tranquility and restore emotional balance. Wild and organic grafted arnica flower extract can be massaged to provide warmth which unwinds the tight and taxed muscles and it alleviates stress.
- Treatment of bruises and black eyes: This is one of the best home remedies in reducing the appearance of bruises. The topical use of arnica extract on black eyes and bruises can significantly improve this condition. Infusions from arnica plant are very effective in the treatment of dark nails which are caused by heavy objects.
- Treatment of stretch marks: When arnica extracts are topically rubbed, then they can reduce the appearance of pregnancy – related stretch marks. You should apply gently arnica gel on your stomach for at least 4 times per day.
Arnica health benefits
- Tooth and gum pain: The early signs of gum disease are gum pain and toothaches that bleed from bruising. Arnica can be very helpful home remedy for sore gums, bleeding, bruising, tooth pain, especially following dental work. There are some patients who can find that the movement worsens tooth or gum pain, while lying down can improve their pain.
- Fevers: This is the most common sign of flu or cold. Homeopathic tout arnica is one of the best home remedies for fevers, especially when it involves a hot head and cold body. People who suffer from sweat, stools and gas can have bad odor and they may not have control of bowel movements or urination. Dampness and cold tend to worsen symptoms but there are some cases in which is shown that lying down with the head lower than your feet can improve this condition.
- Wounds and injuries: This home remedy is used for acute and chronic consequences of surgery, shock or injury and there are included aching pains, bleeding, bruising and swelling. Many patients can feel better when they use a cold compress or when they are lying down but these conditions is getting worse at night, from touch or dampness. There are some symptoms in which is found that the homeopathic arnica can help to reduce the post – operative swelling in 57 patients after the surgery has involved cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arnica is also a very effective home remedy for minor injuries, ligament tears, muscular strains, general soreness, overexertion and bone injuries.
- Promote hair health: When some people find more hair in their comb in their younger ages, then they are in the beginning stages of male pattern baldness. You can add Arnica to you shampoos and soaps if you want to fortify your hair follicles and to prevent hair loss. It has rich nutrients which bind to the hair and they keep it looking younger for longer period. There are some cases when this home remedy can encourage the growth of new hair and it is adding youth and volume to your hair.
- Moisturize the skin: You should not apply pure arnica extract all over your skin, you can mix it with carrier oil or other creams to form an effective treatment for the dry skin.