Acne rosacea is one of the most common conditions which affect the face at most. Also this condition is not well understood and this is a long – term condition. When you use some long – term treatment, then this condition can be treated to some degree. But also there are some cases when you have same changes in your physical appearance which can have a big psychological impact on your health.
This kind of condition can lead to different symptoms but not every single person that is affected with acne rosacea will have all the symptoms. In the most cases these symptoms are causing big troubles in some period while in another period they do not cause any kind of trouble. The most common symptoms of this condition are
- Thickened skin: When you have the most serious cases of this condition, then your skin can thicken and in the area which is around your nose will form excess tissue. This is making your nose to get rhinophyma that is a condition in which your nose have bulbous and large appearance. This is uncommon type of rosacea. There are severe symptoms of rosacea and this means that there should pass several years to get rhinophyma. In the most cases this serious condition is affecting men.
- Papules and pustules: If you suffer from acne rosacea, then you can develop pus – filled swelling (pustules) and round red bumps that raises from your skin (papules). They appear to your face and they are similar to acne. Rosacea is also known as acne rosacea but you should know that these two conditions are too different. When you suffer from rosacea, then you do not have greasy skin and you do not have blackheads. In this condition your skin is dry and it is peeling. Also you should know that the rosacea spots which you have on your skin will not cause you scarring.
- Visible blood vessels: In some cases your blood vessels can become visible and dilated (widened). The telangiectasia is the medical term for the visible blood vessels.
- Persistent facial redness: When you have this condition, then it is associated with a patch or a blush of sunburn and it does not go away. Also it is associated with a blotchy skin which you have when you drink too much alcohol. This is bad news for people who suffer from acne rosacea because other people can think that they are heavy drinkers. This redness usually affects you chin, nose and cheeks but also it can spread to your chest, neck and forehead.
- Flushing: This is a condition when your skin is turning red in short period in the most cases which it is happening in a few minutes. In the most cases it affects your face but also it can spread to your chest and neck. In some cases you can feel a heat. Exercise, hot drinks or sun exposure are the most common triggers for the flushing in rosacea.
Also there are other symptoms of acne rosacea which are not so common such as
- Facial swelling (lymphoedema)
- Raised red patches (plaques) on your skin
- Dry, rough skin
- Sensitive skin – burning, itching, stinging and pain
When you suffer from rosacea, then scarring (or also known as permanent damage to your face) almost never occurs.
Causes: There are many potential factors that have been suggested as cause for the acne rosacea but the exact cause of this condition is not known. Here are some of the main causes for rosacea:
- Skin peptides: Some external triggers such as heat, cold, stress, exercise, alcohol, spicy food, UV light can lead to activation of peptides (they are molecules in your skin). The increased levels of peptides can affect your blood vessels or immune system and cause you inflammation and redness.
- Blood vessel abnormalities: If you have abnormalities in your blood vessels, then you can have some symptoms of rosacea such as visible blood vessels, persistent redness and flushing.
- Genetics: If you have some family member with rosacea, then you have increased chances to get this condition.
- Microscopic mites: They live harmlessly on our skin but people who suffer from acne rosacea have them in large numbers.
- Helicobacter pylori bacteria: They are found in our digestive system. Is not proved why this kind of bacteria can lead to acne rosacea.